Banff Centre Spoken Word Program, Banff Canada 2019
Evanson has been facilitating innovative literary and performance
workshops for youth, at-risk youth, black/indigenous/people of colour, and
emerging/mid-career/established writers across Canada and abroad since
What participants say:
With experience teaching poetry, short fiction, drama and storytelling,
her primary expertise is the interdisciplinary art form of spoken word,
which emphasizes a combination of creative writing and performance
skills. She is interested in the return of literature to its oral, poetic, mystic and rhythmic roots.
a background teaching English as a Second Language to young adults and professionals in
Istanbul, Turkey (2005) and at International Language Schools of Canada
in Vancouver BC (2008-12), Evanson's teaching philosophy is based on
the communicative approach and propelled by 20 years of professional
experience. Workshops are participant-centered, trusting environments
conducive to authenticity, creativity and craft for writers and
performers at all levels.
She holds a B.A. in Creative Writing and English Literature from
Concordia University and certificates in Teaching English as a Second
Language (TESL) and Turkish Language. Her spoken and written fluency includes English,
French, Spanish, and intermediate level Turkish.
Alliances and memberships:
- TURNING POINT: poetry and spoken word
- SONIC SALON: spoken word performance
- WRITING UNDER THE INFLUENCE: Sufi poetry and spoken word
- PRIMA MATERIA: short fiction
- Banff Centre for the Arts (faculty)
- LCP The League of Canadian Poets
- QWF Quebec Writer's Federation
- WIC Writers in the Community
- Culture Education Culture in Schools Program / Répertoire de ressources culture-éducation
- SOCAN Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada
- GMMQ Guilde des musiciens et musiciennes du Quebec
- AIG Artists Inspire Grants (ELAN)
- NGN Northern Griots Network
"Not only did my writing muscles get a work out, my spirits were lifted."
"I felt alive in the process…and that gave me
the key to the poem…by the time I was done I was quite eager to share
it…so eager in fact that my heart was beating a wild tattoo against my
rib cage…I could hear it…"
"So great. I am new to writing and
performing and haven’t received much structure/training so this was
informative and powerful."
"Well prepared, excellent communicator, very soulful and in tune with offering in creating a safe space for exploration."