Banff Centre Spoken Word Program, Banff Canada 2019
Evanson has been facilitating innovative literary and performance
workshops for youth, at-risk youth, BIPOC and writers at all levels across Canada and abroad since
She is current program director of Banff Centre Spoken Word
and specializes in poetry, spoken word performance, short fiction,
drama and storytelling. She is interested in the return of literature
to its oral,
poetic, mystic and rhythmic roots.
teaching and mentorship philosophy is based on the communicative
approach combining twenty five years of professional arts experience with
five years of full-time professional language teaching in
Canada and abroad. Workshops are safe, trusting, participant-centered
environments conducive to authenticity, creativity and craft for
writers and performers at all levels.
She holds a B.A. in Creative Writing and English Literature from
Concordia University and certificates in Teaching English as a Second
Language (TESL) and Turkish Language. Her spoken and written fluency includes English,
French, Spanish and intermediate Turkish.
Alliances and memberships:
- ELIXIR OF LIFE: free verse poetry
- TURNING POINT: poetry & spoken word
- SONIC SALON: spoken word performance
- WRITING UNDER THE INFLUENCE: Sufi poetry and spoken word
- PRIMA MATERIA: short fiction
- Banff Centre for the Arts (faculty)
- QWF Quebec Writers' Federation (board of directors)
- WIC Writers in the Community (QWF)
- LCP The League of Canadian Poets (full member)
- Culture Education Culture in Schools Program / Répertoire de ressources culture-éducation
- SOCAN Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada
- GMMQ Guilde des musiciens et musiciennes du Quebec
- AIG Artists Inspire Grants (ELAN)
- Poetry in Voice
- NGN Northern Griots Network
What participants say:
"Not only did my writing muscles get a work out, my spirits were lifted."
"I felt alive in the process…and that gave me
the key to the poem…by the time I was done I was quite eager to share
it…so eager in fact that my heart was beating a wild tattoo against my
rib cage…I could hear it…"
"So great. I am new to writing and
performing and haven’t received much structure/training so this was
informative and powerful."
"Well prepared, excellent communicator, very soulful and in tune with offering in creating a safe space for exploration."